Facts about Sexual Assault
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually
assaulted by the age of 18.
- Sexual assault is any sexual act that is forced on
you against your will. It can be anything from unwanted touching
or kissing to forcible rape.
- 85% of all sexual assaults occur between people
who know each other.
How can you prevent yourself from being
Unfortunately there is no way to totally protect
yourself from sexual assault, but there are ways to reduce the
- Know your limits and communicate them clearly. Say
"NO" when you mean "NO" and say it quickly, firmly and clearly.
- Trust your gut. If you feel uncomfortable, trust
- Stick with your friends at parties and other
social events. Look out for one another and do not leave a friend
stranded with no way home.
- Make a scene if you feel threatened. Do not worry
about looking stupid. Do whatever you can to stay safe.
- At parties, don't leave your drink unattended or a
take a drink from someone you don't know. Date rape drugs, which
may be colorless and odorless, can be slipped into an unattended
What can you do if you've been Sexually
- Talk to someone you trust and feel comfortable
- Call the Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-888-999-5545. It's free and
confidential. A trained counselor can help you 24 hours a day
- Get medical attention. It's important to see a
doctor even if you think you are OK. You may want to get tested
for sexually transmitted diseases, infections, or pregnancy, and
you may want to do a rape kit.
- It is always YOUR DECISION if you want to make a
police report. No one can make that decision for you!!
REMEMBER, IT IS NEVER YOUR FAULT!